A little further south, there is a chance to visit Vorbasse, located only a few km from the Hærvej. The “Holy Body” spring which was once churchyard at Vorbasse, used to attract many sick people, who wanted to be healed.
The influx of so many pilgrims, was very good for trade and Vorbasse market was the result, at one time the centre for ox trading.
These days the market is more general and is held on the penultimate weekend in July.
The 50 ton Hamborggård stone, left behind after the glaciers melted, can be seen north of Bække. It originated from the Åland Islands around 15.000 years ago. According to legend, Harald Bluetooth was having the stone dragged to Jelling, when he heard that his son Sweyn Forkbeard had rebelled against him, and instead left it where it was.
The route continues to Klebæk Høje, which conceals one of the Hærvej’s most interesting ancient monuments. Around 3000 years ago, during the Bronze Age, two grave mounds were constructed here. Later during the Viking period, they were expanded with a 45 meter long ship form, in the bow of which was a rune stone from around the year 900. There are many wheel ruts over the ship, showing the course of the Hærvej over the years.
In Bække, there are shopping facilities as well as tourist information during the summer months at the old bus station, which also has an exhibition on the Hærvej.
The Hærvej takes you past the 400 year old Bække Kro, by Royal Privilege. In front of the town’s 800 year old church is another rune stone, found in the ditch around the churchyard in 1807. The stone dates from around 925 AD, but its original location is unknown.
A little south of Asbo is Mannehøj, the remnants of a grave mound from the older Bronze Age. Previously, rows of grave mounds marked the ancient wandering from Bække via Asbo to Læborg.
A small detour to the west of the route just before Læborg, leads you into Hundsbæk plantation where you for instance can walk up to one of the highest points in the road "Mrs. Mette bjerg" The history about the hill says that the young Mrs. Mette was married to a nobleman and was in love with a young lad, and secretly met him on top of the hill. The affair resulted in a child and in her desperation to hide the affair to her husband, killed Mrs. Mette the child and buried it on the hill.
Just before Vejen, there is a grave mound slightly east of the bicycle route. The mound marks the halfway point between Viborg and Slesvig, and was known in the time of Christian IV as the Halfway Height.
Vejen has plenty of opportunity for shopping, and to get more information about the region’s attractions and activities at the local tourist office.
The church in Vejen was built in the romantic style in 1896, but the remains of the original Middle Ages church can still be seen in the churchyard. The Hærvej passes under the railway line, which from 1874 meant that Vejen was considered a large town.
Vejen Kunstmuseum (Art Gallery) contains mostly sculptures, ceramics and paintings associated with the local sculptor Niels Hansen Jacobsen, as well as a special collection from around the 1900’s, and some works relating to the Hærvej. The museum is free of charge.