©  Photo:

Rise Kirke

Rise Church - the old district church by the Hærvejen is dated all the way back to the 12th century.

Rise Church is a parish church located in the northeastern end of the village of Rise near Rødekro.

The church consists of a Romanesque choir and nave, both made of granite. In the choir, three of the original four windows still remain. Until the major fire in 1893, the original priest's door was also present. The three additions to the church were all built in the late Middle Ages, also using granite and monk stones. To the south, there is the church's chapel, covered by a vaulted ceiling.

The original spire of the church burnt down, leading to the decision to replace the vault of the tower with a flat wooden ceiling. The tower was subsequently rebuilt using recycled materials from another burnt-down church.

The interior walls of the church are whitewashed, and the ceilings are painted in gray boards. There are no frescoes. The church's furnishings are heavily influenced by the devastating fire of 1893, where the altarpiece, baptismal font, and pulpit survived. A crucifix and a canopy over the baptismal font also survived but were destroyed in a fire at the rectory in 1898. The oldest piece of furniture is the ancient baptismal font from the Romanesque period, adorned with carved leaves, among other things.

The altar table and altarpiece were carved by a carpenter from Flensburg in 1894. The altarpiece features paintings depicting scenes from the Old Testament. The pulpit and its canopy, also from 1894, are carved from pine.

There are gravestones dating back to 1831 and a stone from 1848 commemorating a hussar who fell in the First Schleswig War (1848-1851).

There is also a monument to the fallen of the parish in World War I (1914-1918).

The church's organ was built in 1894 by Marcussen & Søn in Aabenraa. It was expanded to a total of 22 stops from the original 12.

Følg os:

Useful links

Hærvej © 2024
English